Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Today's Bird: American Redstart

Last week, I posted a Redstart from Peru, but this one's all home-grown.  These little guys live in the Eastern Woodlands.  The males look all Halloween-y like this one here.  The female has the same feather pattern but is gray and yellow instead of black and orange.  I saw my first American Redstart on my in-laws' property in Western Pennsylvania.  I remember looking through my book and realizing for the first time that it's not just ducks that have different male and female looks. 

When I see American Redstarts now, it's because they're on migration, headed to South or Central America.  This time of year, I run into them with some regularity, but they move so fast and are so small that I have trouble getting a good photograph.  Although this photo isn't perfect, it's the best one I have..If only they'd slow down...

I took this picture at South Padre Island on October 8, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment