Saturday, May 12, 2012

Today's Bird: The Green Parakeet

Today's bird is the Green Parakeet.  The last Parakeet I posted was a different species that seems to only have a small flock down here.  Green Parakeets, on the other hand, have several, large, well-established flocks throughout the Rio Grande Valley.  The giant hailstorm we had did some damage on the flock I usually see (at 10th and Dove in McAllen) and I haven't seen them since.  But, I stumbled on these guys in a small business plaza in Weslaco. They were up in the dried palm fronds and a few others in the flock (there were six all together) were popping in and out of woodpecker holes on another palm.  I've actually seen them a few times since, so I wonder if they're setting up shop here. I took this picture on April 28, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment