Monday, May 28, 2012

Today's Bird: Purple Gallinule

Today's Bird is the Purple Gallinule! This is a pretty rare find in South Texas.  They only really hang around during the summer, and even then it's a big deal when someone spots one.  They don't show up on the Texas state-wide rare bird alert, but they will show up on our Lower Rio Grande Valley Hotline, which gave me the location for one that I started looking out for last week at Estero Llano Grande.  When I was coming back into the Visitor's Center from an extensive search, two of the park rangers called me over and said, "Did you want to see the Gallinule?  It's right here in the spotting scope..." I got a good look at it but it was too far for a picture.  But...this Saturday, at the South Padre Island Birding Center, who should I run into but my favorite Marsh Chicken?  It's a pretty unmistakable bird...

No comments:

Post a Comment